Construction of Shizuoka Prefecture’s First Sludge-Derived Fuel Production Facility Completed at Nakajima Sewerage Treatment Plant
Contributing to effective use of sludge and greenhouse gas reduction
METAWATER Co., Ltd. (Headquarters: Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo; President: Yasushi Nakamura; hereinafter “METAWATER”) started the construction of a sludge-derived fuel production facility in December 2013, pursuant to the “Shizuoka City Nakajima Sewerage Treatment Plant Sludge-Derived Fuel Production Project” contract. A ceremony was held in commemoration of the recently completed construction.
Under this project, sewage sludge is recycled as carbide at the Nakajima Sewerage Treatment Plant. As the DBO method is adopted, the METAWATER Group is responsible for designing, constructing, operating and maintaining the sludge-derived fuel production facility.
Sewage sludge that has been disposed of as industrial waste so far will be recycled as energy resources, producing 1,362 tonnes of carbide per year
Shizuoka Prefecture’s first sewage-sludge-derived fuel production project
This project is Shizuoka Prefecture’s first sewage-sludge-derived fuel production project. The carbide generated will be used as carburizing material at melting resource recycling facilities and steelmaking plants.
Through this project, METAWATER will strive to contribute to the region’s sustainable development and expand the use of renewable energy, aiming for further greenhouse gas reduction
Sludge-derived fuel production facility Sewage-sludge-derived fuel (carbide)
Project outline diagram
1) Project locationNakajima Sewerage Treatment Plant (Address: 1711-1 Nakajima, Suruga-ku, Shizuoka Prefecture)
2) Project size- Sludge processing capability: 75 tonnes per day x 1 process
- Sludge processing volume: 24,000 tonnes (about 75 tonnes per day)
- Production volume of carbonized sludge-derived fuel: About 1,362 tonnes (about 4.3 tonnes per day)
3) Project scope- Sludge-derived fuel production facility design and construction
- Sludge-derived fuel production facility operation and maintenance
- Purchase, transportation and sale of carbonized sewage-sludge-derived fuel (carbide)
4) Project period- Design and construction period : December 2013 to June 2016
- Operation and maintenance period : January 2017 to March 2037 (20 years and 3 months)