Change in the representative of "effluent treatment facility reconstruction project for the seafood processing complex in Onagawa-cho"
In line with the completion of the design and construction of the effluent treatment facility reconstruction project for the seafood processing complex in Onagawa-cho, Miyagi Prefecture (hereinafter as "Onagawa-cho;" town mayor: Yoshiaki Suda), the representative of Fishery Support Onagawa Co., Ltd., a special-purpose company established to operate the project (hereinafter as "SPC"), has been changed from Kajima Corporation to METAWATER Co., Ltd. (President: Tomoyasu Kida; Headquarters: Tokyo, Japan; hereinafter "METAWATER" ), effective March 31, 2015.
In this project, a PFI (private finance initiative) method has been introduced based on the "Act on Promotion of Private Finance Initiative" ("PFI law"). Onagawa-cho has given high marks to our proposal in which Kajima Corporation, engaging in the reconstruction business for the Great East Japan Earthquake, is to serve as the representative of SPC during the design and construction phase and METAWATER is to serve as the representative of SPC during the maintenance and operation phase. As one of the key characteristics of the project, the best-suited companies serve as the representative for each project phase pursuant to the agreement signed by SPC shareholders.
In addition, a "financially-independent-type" method has been adopted for the first time in Japan for the maintenance and operation of the facilities. By making the most of various technologies and know-how of member and cooperative companies, Fishery Support Onagawa strives to reduce lifecycle costs throughout the project period, to cut costs by leaving detailed specifications to contractors, and to lower the operation costs borne by seafood processing companies while contributing to the realization of the regeneration and development of this port town industry and early reconstruction of Onagawa-cho from the Great East Japan Earthquake by mitigating the environmental load and conserving fishing grounds in Onagawa Bay.
Change in the representatives in line with the change in the representative company of Fishery Support Onagawa (effective March 31, 2015)
|New Title||Name||Former Title|
|Representative Director||Hideaki Kirino(METAWATER Co., Ltd.)||-|
|Director||Yuzo Yokoyama(Kajima Corporation)||Representative Director|
Based on the reconstruction plan for the seafood processing complex in Onagawa-cho, which suffered severe damage from the Great East Japan Earthquake, this project is intended to concentrate a regional wholesale market, facilities for ice making, freezing, refrigeration, and seafood processing in the area, thus reconstructing the seafood processing complex which serves as the region's core industry. In order to prevent the quality of water in Onagawa Bay, which offers fertile fishing grounds, from deteriorating due to foul water discharged from fishery service facilities, efforts will be made to reduce the environmental burden and preserve rich fishing grounds by setting up the new facilities to process and manage the effluent water in an integrated fashion and facilitating the joint use of the facilities by fishery business operators.
1. Project outline
Effluent treatment facility reconstruction project for the seafood processing complex in Onagawa-cho
2) Project period:
Design/construction and maintenance/operation period: March 14, 2014 (date of council approval) – March 31, 2035
3) Project method:
Financially-independent-type PFI based on BTO (Build Transfer Operate) method
After SPC constructs the facilities, it will transfer ownership to Onagawa-cho and will be responsible for maintenance and operation of the facilities.
4) Location of the facilities:
149-2 Takamori, Aza, Ishihama, Onagawa-cho, Oshika-gun, Miyagi Prefecture
5) Facilities to be constructed:
Effluent treatment facility: 2,000 m3/day (maximum), sludge dewatering facility, and sludge drying facility
2.Characteristics of the project
- Among the plant processing PFI projects in Japan, this is the first financially-independent-type PFI project that includes a bill collection service.
- The best-suited companies serve as the representative for each project phase (Kajima: the design and construction phase; METAWATER: the maintenance and operation phase) so that the risks of the project can be mitigated or avoided to ensure stable project operation continuously.
- Self-monitoring will be introduced and backup service companies will be part of the project to establish a multi-tiered backup system, thus ensuring project continuity.
- Experience and know-how by participating companies with rich records of PFI projects will ensure stable project operations.
- Effluent treatment systems which have many proven records and are suitable for seafood processing effluent water will be adopted.
- Complete measures to prevent odor generation will be taken.
- METAWATER's WBC (water business cloud) will be used for remote control and monitoring to streamline operation.
- Generated sludge will be dried and sold as bacterial fertilizer. Gains in sales will be appropriated to the disposal cost
- SPC responsible officials will be stationed in the site to maintain close communications with seafood processing companies and make contribution for the region.
3. Outline of Fishery Support Onagawa Co., Ltd. (after March 31, 2015)
February 12, 2014
2) Location of headquarters:
Onagawa-cho, Oshika-gun, Miyagi Prefecture
Hideaki Kirino, Representative Director (METAWATER Co., Ltd.)
20 million yen
5) Member companies, cooperative company, and their respective roles
|METAWATER Co., Ltd.||
Representative company during the maintenance and operation period
Design/construction related to mechanical and electrical equipment, surveillance related to engineering and building work, meter reading, administration of SPC, operation/maintenance of facilities
Representative company during the design and construction period
Design/construction related to civil engineering and building work and surveillance related to mechanical and electrical equipment
|NEC Capital Solutions Limited||
|Finance and accounting|
|Morinaga Engineering Co., Ltd.||
|Operation and maintenance of facilities, meter reading|
|Tanaka Construction Co., Ltd.||
Onagawa-cho, Oshika-gun, Miyagi
|Construction related to civil engineering and building work|
|Self-monitoring, maintenance backup service|
|Fukuei Hiryo Co., Ltd.||
|Purchase of dry bacterial fertilizer|
|Private Finance Initiative Promotion Corporation of Japan||
|Cooperative company||Toa Environment Service Co., Ltd.||
|Maintenance of dedicated culvert|
Full view of the effluent treatment facility