Participation in plant management
for a financially-independent-type PFI project, the first in Japan
METAWATER to contribute to "regeneration and development of port town industry" in Onagawa-cho, Miyagi Prefecture, and to post-quake reconstruction, through an effluent treatment facility reconstruction project for a seafood processing complex
A special-purpose company, "Fishery Support Onagawa Co., Ltd. " (hereinafter referred as "SPC "), which was inagurated on February 12, 2014 to operate the effluent treatment facility reconstruction project for the seafood processing complex in Onagawa-cho, Miyagi Prefecture (town mayor: Yoshiaki Suda; hereinafter referred as "Onagawa-cho "), received an order for the design, construction, maintenance, and operation of effluent treatment facilities under the PFI method, and concluded a contract with Onagawa-cho on March 14, 2014.
METAWATER (President: Tomoyasu Kida; Headquarters: Tokyo, Japan; hereinafter referred as "METAWATER ") is going to participate in the project as a member company of SPC.
Based on the reconstruction plan for the seafood processing complex in Onagawa-cho, which was tremendously damaged by the Great East Japan Earthquake, this project is intended to concentrate a regional wholesale market, facilities for ice making, freezing, refrigeration, and seafood processing on the area, thus reconstructing the seafood processing complex, which serves as the region's core industry. In order to prevent the quality of water in the Onagawa Bay, which offers fertile fishing grounds, from deteriorating due to foul water discharged from fishery service facilities, we think the effluent water should be processed (purified) and managed in an integrated fashion in the new facilities. We also think if the facilities will be jointly used by fishery businesses, environmental burdens will be reduced and preservation of good fishing grounds will be secured.
In this project, a PFI (private finance initiative) method will be introduced based on "Act on Promotion of Private Finance Initiative (Act No. 117 of July 30, 1999)" (PFI law), and "financially-independent-type" will be adopted, the first in Japan, for maintenance and operation of the facilities which METAWATER is responsible for. During the design and construction phase, Kajima Corporation will serve as the representative of SPC, and during the maintenance and operation phase, we will play that role. As the best-suited companies will become the representative for each project phase, this contract will be the first one in Japan where representative companies change during the project period.
Private Finance Initiative Promotion Corporation of Japan founded in October 2013 will join SPC in March 2014, its first support project.
Making the most of our rich experience in plant operations under the PFI method, and working with other member companies and a subcontractor with various technologies and know-how, we will make efforts to reduce lifecycle costs throughout the project period, to cut costs by leaving detailed specifications to contractors, and to lower the operation costs borne by seafood processing companies. In addition, we will mitigate the environmental load and conserve fishing grounds in Onagawa Bay, and, through this project, we will contribute to realization of "regeneration and development of port town industry" in Onagawa-cho and to early reconstruction from the Great East Japan Earthquake.
With this project as a start, we will actively participate in public-private initiatives for devastated areas.
1. Project outline
1) Name: Effluent treatment facility reconstruction project for the seafood processing complex in Onagawa-cho
2) Contract value: 2,583 million yen (including tax)
The contract value includes only facility reconstruction costs that Onagawa-cho will pay to SPC utilizing the reconstruction grants, and does not include facility operation costs, since the latter will be borne by seafood processing companies.
3) Scope of the project: Fund procurement, design, construction, maintenance, operation related to the reconstruction of the effluent treatment facilities for the seafood processing complex in Onagawa-cho, installation of flow meters to measure effluent water, bill collection, effective use of generated sludge, and maintenance of dedicated pipes and drains.
4) Project period:
Design and construction phase:
April 1, 2014 - March 31, 2015 (One year for effluent treatment facilities)
April 1, 2014 - March 31, 2016 (Two years for ancillary facilities)
Maintenance and operation period:
April 1, 2015 - March 31, 2035 (20 years)
5) Project method: Financially-independent-type PFI based on BTO (Build Transfer Operate) method After SPC procures funds and constructs the facilities, it will transfer ownership to Oganawa-cho and will be responsible for maintenance and operation of the facilities.
6) Location of the facilities: Takamori, Aza, Ishihama, Onagawa-cho, Oshika-gun, Miyagi Prefecture
7) Size: Approximately 4,000 m³
8) Facilities to be constructed: Effluent treatment facility: 2,000 m³/day (maximum), sludge dewatering facility, and sludge drying facility
2. Characteristics of the project
- Kajima and METAWATER will serve as representatives during the construction phase, and maintenance and operation phase, respectively. As the best-suited companies will become the representative for each project phase, the risks of a financially-independent-type project will be mitigated or avoided to ensure stable project operation continuously.
- Effluent treatment systems which have many proven records and are suitable for seafood processing effluent water will be adopted.
- Complete measures to prevent order generation will be taken.
- METAWATER's WBC (water business cloud) will be used for remote control and monitoring to streamline operation.
- Generated sludge will be dried and sold as bacterial fertilizer. Gains in sales will be appropriated to the disposal cost.
- Experience and know-how by participating companies with rich records of PFI projects will ensure stable project operations.
- Flow meters to measure effluent water discharged from seafood processing companies will be installed through a financing lease, for leveling their burden of meter usage fee.
- Self-monitoring will be introduced and backup service companies will be part of the project to establish a multi-tiered backup system, thus ensuring project continuity.
- Among plant processing PFI projects in Japan, this is the first financially-independent-type PFI project that includes a bill collection service.
- SPC responsible officials will be stationed in the site to maintain close communications with seafood processing companies and make contribution for the region.
3. Outline of Fishery Support Onagawa Co., Ltd.
1) Foundation: February 12, 2014
2) Location of the headquarters: Oganawa-cho, Oshika-gun, Miyagi Prefecture
3) Representative: Yuzo Yokoyama, Representative Director of Kajima Corporation
4) Capital: 20 million yen
5) Member companies and cooperative company
Member companies; Kajima Corporation, METAWATER Co., Ltd, NEC Capital Solutions Limited, Morinaga Engineering Co., Ltd., Tanaka Construction Co., Ltd., Stem Corporation, Fukuei Hiryo Co.,Ltd. and Private Finance Initiative Promotion Corporation of Japan Cooperative company; Toa Environment Service Co., Ltd.
Image of completed facilities